Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Trust Registration Service

This is not an answer to the previous post, just contains some basic info for set up prior to registering a trust. Hope it is useful. 1 https://www.gov.uk/guidance/register-a-trust-as-a-trustee click on REGISTER NOW at very bottom of screen. You now need to create a Government Gateway ID ((GG ID) to associate with this trust. 2 click on Create sign-in details NB each trust requires its own GG ID 3 You are prompted for an email address to associate with this GG ID enter email. That email will be sent a 6 digit code. Retrieve. 4 enter code sent to email You are prompted for your full name and then prompted to create a password Government Gateway ID is now created and you will get an email with the details - but not the password which you should add to your online password manager or similar. 5 choose the type of account you need Select type as organisation 6 set up additional security. Choose one of the following: add a mobile phone for security texts or authenticator app or voice call 7 and then via a series of questions enter your trust details 8 At finish you are required to confirm a pre-written declaration after which the Unique Reference Number is generated and linked to the Government Gateway ID generated earlier. At this point you also get the option to print or save the registration details. To amend atrust later - for security you need to enter Lead Trustees details and details of A N Other trustee. Once you have done this you can amend info as required and confirm by making a new declaration. Note * you cannot amend the name of a trust once you have created it. * you are also logged out of the system after 30 mins of inactivity. * you can pause the registration process before completion and save all info entered, but the info will only be retained for 30 days

[Link removed - Admin]

That’s useful. Thank you

I meant by confirming on this forum. Can you, representing HMRC, confirm the information I was given over the phone verbally by HMRC is correct? The written information on the HMRC website via this link appears to contradict the verbal advice: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/trust-registration-service-manual/trsm10030

I called the Trust helpline as advised by yourselves. This was a chaotic call, barely audible and the person on the line, although helpful, had to keep going and asking for advice. The verbal advice given was that bare trusts did not need to be registered. I was surprised to learn this as it directly contradicts HMRC advice here: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/trust-registration-service-manual/trsm10030 Can you confirm in writing please?

I'm trying to register a bare trust set up several years ago. I already have a Government Gateway ID and associated UTR that I use for tax returns. The trust registration process says that I need an ORGANISATION GG ID though rather than a personal one. Do I need to set this up? If so, do I also need to set up a new UTR too - for a trust that I don't need to pay tax on? There is very little in the way of online help with the trust registration process currently.