Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Put on wrong tax code by my second job

Hi. I have a regular full time job where I pay 21% tax and NI (I’m in scotland). I recently got an agency job as a second job and on the starter form I filled out option where it said “I have another job”. I handed my documents in on the 10/11/2022. Yesterday (25/11/2022) my first payslip came and I wasn’t taxed at all because the agency put me on the wrong tax code apparently. I phoned them immediately and they said they’ll get payroll to change it. I get paid weekly in this job. I know I should be on a BR tax code and will not get a tax free allowance since my main employment uses that up already. So with being paid £60 I should’ve seen about a £12/13 deduction, which there wasn’t. The new employer has also not appeared under my PAYE details in my tax account. My question is, is there anything else I need to do? I have already told the agency they need to move me onto the BR code and should’ve done that in the first place. Is there maybe a backlog since it’s only been 15 days from handing in my documents to getting paid? Can you please advise as I don’t want to have a backlog of unpaid tax through no fault of my own.
  • RE: When to submit the form?

I think I will submit one form at the end of the year so that it doesn’t complicate things for myself and the system. Problem is I have claimed for 987 miles already. Say by April I have an additional 1000 miles to claim, how do I go about submitting this? I have already claimed for 987. Do I submit a form to get the remaining 1000? Or do I submit for total mileage which in this example would be 1987

Hello, how do I edit existing entries? Or amend them? I have looked in my profile and they are both pending. From my understanding I should combine both of my mileage reports to say I am now due 987 (140 from last and 847 for now) and type in how much my employer has paid out thus far . Then next month when I have a new report of say 100 miles I would go back and resubmit a new report for 1087 but type in the amount my employer has paid out so far (25p per mile) so it will only ever show that months payment.

If I have already submitted 2 forms, how can I retract them to essentially combine them? I understand by “ if you decide to do them more than once per year, ensure that you include the total amount of expenses so far in the year rather than just the new amount above the previous claim.” I will need to just keep updating rather than claiming for the difference. Can I just submit another form combining them to overwrite this one I just submitted? Sorry I don’t mean to be submitting too many forms, just want to get this right

thank you. I have submitted my 2nd form, and I just wanted to ask if the previous form gets overwritten or cancelled? For example the previous miles I claimed for were 140, in the second form that I submitted today I needed to claim for 847 miles but I have not included the 140 miles from last time because I had already submitted a form for those the month prior. When I went onto my account I seen that only one p87 form was in progress which was the new one. So I just wanted to check, am I right in thinking every time you submit a new form you need to include all previous miles to date and keep updating the amount that has been paid to you by the employer instead of claiming the difference between the previous and new report? Or do all these forms I have submitted to date get combined at the end of the year and the overall claim is calculated? The fact I can only see one claim pending has made me wonder if I should essentially keep updating the miles, rather than claiming for the difference. Hope that makes sense.

Perfect thank you. I was intending to do it every month as it would get done alongside my employers expenses report. This won’t cause hassle or problems with my tax code if I do it on a monthly basis?
  • When to submit the form?

I have a personal vehicle which is purchased by myself (no car allowance) and I qualify for the tax relief on Milage due to having to travel to temporary places of work (sites). My company currently pays 25p a mile and the gov recommends 45p for the first 10k miles which means I’m able to claim the difference(20p) .My question is, when do I submit the completed tax relief form? Can I do this monthly, after submitting my employers expense report or is it best to submit one big report in April since the tax year runs April to April?