Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RSUs granted while in UK and vested subsequently outside UK (SA filing)

Hi, I was granted a 3yr RSU in 2019 while I was employed in the UK, and a year later I left the UK, and the RSU has now in 2022 fully vested. My tax affairs are up to date for all years through 2021 with HRMC. For tax year 2021/2022, I had no UK income or ties, other than the RSU vesting. I'm trying to understand whether a SA is necessary or not? Upon vesting this year, my employer, sold partial shares and paid my tax liability (P45 was issued to me) and handed the remaining RSUs to me, which are being held in my US broker. If a SA is necessary, how should it be filled out? 1. Do I take the P45 income and tax withehld and declare it in Box 1 and 2 on the SA102? 2. As I had only partial vesting in UK, and also, during grant time 2019-2020, while on UK payroll, I had filed non-dom, remittance basis with OWR. How do I declare this on the SA109? My employer had tallied my UK working days vs. non-UK and apportioned the UK income, which is approx. 1/3 UK income, i.e. 1/3 the RSU income. 3. The income was below the starter rate, so my employer applied their NIC % (13.8%) + 19% starter rate, 32.8%. USD/GBP is as per HMRC declared tables and RSU price was taken on close of market rate of vesting date. Unclear if SA is needed, and if above logic is correct. I am lost on SA109, because I am not in the Uk anymore, and not sure how to demonstrate the non-UK days of termination of postUK payroll + OWR for the UK period of vesting. Thank you for any clarifications.