Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Change Name

I am trying to change my name with HMRC as they still have my maiden name. I am unable to use the ID check App as my passport and drivers licence are in my married name. This means I am unable to log in to submit a form to change my name. I have tried phoning several times and I am unable to get through on the phone. I can read from a previous post that others are in a similar situation, one piece of advice is 'If you contact our Income Tax team by telephone or writing we can update this.' Can you please let me know who to write to and what to include? Is it an original copy of the marriage certificate or a copy etc? Also the address to write to? Can you please let me know the following: 1. Why does HMRC not have my married name as I have changed it with my employer? 2. Why is there always long waits on the phone or the call is ended as the lines are too busy? I have been phoning this morning since 8am, and I am now in the queue. However yesterday I was cut off 4 times as the phone lines were so busy. 3. Is there another way I can change my name to allow me to log onto HMRC as I seem to be suck unable to verify my ID and therefore unable to log on? Thank you Jenny