Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Remittance Basis vs ILR / Citizenship

Thank you for your reply. My question is: Will claiming Remittance Basis affect my future ILR / Citizenship application? The professional told me that it is an obvious advantage, financially, to claim Remittance Basis because I ONLY have foreign income and NO local UK income. Meaning I will not need to pay any tax until I remittance the un-remitted balance to the UK, which will not happen before I apply Citizenship. On the other hand, I will need to pay some taxes if I choose Arising Basis for tax reporting. My concern is some friends interpreted this as: I have no contribution to the UK if I choose Remittance Basis. (I do not agree this view) Therefore, I will have consequences when I apply my ILR / Citizenships. The tax professional could not give me advice on this concern.
  • Remittance Basis vs ILR / Citizenship

I am a retired, non-domicile, person came to the UK in 2020 and I will apply ILR and Citizenship a few years later. I reported my self assessment using arising basis and I brought enough money to the UK for my living during the tax year 2020/2021. I also live in my own house. Therefore, I do not need to bring more money from overseas for the next 10 years even though I have no local income from within UK. By the time I apply ILR and Citizenship, I expect that I will still have, say GBP500k, savings. For tax years 2021/2022 to 2024/2025, I have 2 choices: A. If I report my tax using arising basis, I will need to pay some tax for my only incomes from overseas. B. If I report my tax using remittance basis, I will need to pay no tax because I remit no fund to the UK. My question is will my ILR / Citizenship application be affected if I choose (B) claim the Remittance Basis? Note: Someone told me that if I pay no tax by claiming Remittance Basis, it means I have no contribution to the UK. (I do not agree this view) Therefore, I will have trouble when I apply ILR / Citizenships.