Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: Self-assessment for online tutoring AND completing surveys and interviews

    Hi, Thank you for your reply. After doing some research, I've actually ended up putting the income from paid surveys/studies/interviews under 'miscellaneous income' as I figured it probably would fit better there than as a self-employment. Is that okay? Many thanks.
  • Self-assessment for online tutoring AND completing surveys and interviews

    Hello, I'm currently self-employed as an online Tutor whilst studying at university. I earn around £1500 a year so I already submit a self-assessment tax return. However, in my spare time, I also complete online paid surveys, studies, and user interviews on various different websites for extra cash. This comes to around an extra £50-£100 a month combined. All of this money is sent to my PayPal, which I then transfer to my bank account. As I understand, this also falls under the category of being self-employed so I will need to report these additional earnings in my tax return. My questions are: 1) Because I am already self-employed as a tutor, and earn over £1000, I assume I have already used up the trading allowance and cannot apply it to my survey/study/interview earnings? 2) Can I group all the websites together under one self-employment business and call it 'Surveys and Interviews', or do I need to list each individual website as a separate self-employed business? There are about 5 websites I use (some websites I earn £0 in a given month, others I just earn around £10 a month, so it seems tedious to list them all separately when a given site may only generate £50 for me across the whole tax year). Many thanks