Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Income Tax Refund - P55 SUB Form, 6 Week Delay !

Hello Graham et al. Depending on which route you try with HMRC, you will get answers ranging from 4-12 weeks from date of claim. However, I've lost faith altogether with HMRC timelines as it's clear the left arm doesn't know what the right arm is doing ! The service HMRC are currently providing beggars belief and I still can't get my head round how a major (and vital) government department has been allowed to get into this state. In desperation, I wrote to Jim Harra, who is HMRC's First Permanent Secretary and Chief Executive (ie: the boss) via his general email address at perm.secs@hmrc.gov.uk . I did get a response asking for more information on my claim which I've provided, so we'll see if this leads to anything. I wish everyone who reads this post well in their dealings with HMRC, and sincerely hope it's less stressful than mine has been to date !

Will do !

This entire post illustrates only too clearly the utter chaos pervading HMRC. The previous post indicating a time frame of 4 weeks to even look at a claim is completely out of date. The time frame was 6-8 weeks when I started this post some 18 days ago and nothing on my on - line account indicates otherwise. I've even seen claims dating back to April which are still outstanding. And please don't tell me to try phoning HMRC, as its impossible to get through. CAN ANYBODY HELP ME PLEASE !

Many thanks for replying. I've submitted a formal complaint as I've given up trying to get through to HMRC via phone for the second time !

Sorry to hear about your predicament. My claim too was made as result of a part pension withdrawal which was overtaxed at source (another long story). Simply would like (as a matter of common courtesy) someone from HMRC to confirm the rough waiting time for tax refund requests to be dealt with. Am I being unreasonable ?

Anyone ?

Hello HMRC. Could somebody please confirm that HMRC are indeed taking around 6 - 8 weeks to look at income tax refund claims, as I was not convinced by the person I spoke to yesterday. Given the announcement on the energy price cap today, getting mine (and everyone else's) refunds expedited as quickly as possible has taken on a new urgency. Many thanks.
  • Income Tax Refund - P55 SUB Form, 6 Week Delay !

I applied for a tax refund using the P55SUB form via my on-line account on the 25th July 2022. The estimated date for completion was 15th August 2022. No refund has been forthcoming. I spent the last week trying to contact HMRC and when I eventually got through today, was told they were presently looking at claims only lodged up to the 15th June 2022, so my claim would in fact not be looked at before the end of September 2022 ! My real gripe is that the information on my on-line account bares no relation to the actual situation. A simple on line message from HMRC stating that you're running 6 weeks or so behind was all that was needed. It would have saved me and many others from wasting time sitting on the phone, clogging up your lines, simply to be told you're way behind in processing claims. Sorry to be blunt, but this is all pretty shambolic !