Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Extraterritorial costs and foreign income

    Hello, I wonder if you can help. I live and work abroad but am a UK resident for this tax year based on the SRT. My foreign employer has agreed to pay a % of my salary to cover my extraterritorial costs. I see that there are special rules for this situation (e.g., but as I receive a % of salary rather than reimbursement for each individual expense, I wondered how this would be dealt with by HMRC within my self assessment return? Many thanks in advance.
  • Double taxation quiry

    Is social security tax considered income that has already been taxed in the UK? In the Netherlands, you pay payroll tax and social security tax -- rather than NIC. It sounds silly as tax is in the name in the Netherlands, but as we in the UK would call this NIC, I've never really thought of it as a tax per se. As social security tax is higher in the Netherlands than the UK and payroll tax lower for me, I just wanted to check whether both are considered tax from a self assessment standpoint or whether it's only payroll tax?