Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Food expense

Hi, I meet twice a year with my mentor who's a landlord for lunch/dinner. In this meeting we discuss exclusively about property letting, can the food be considered as an expense as the meeting is only for property letting? Thanks
  • RE: Personal Savings and Dividend Allowance

Thank you so much

Can anyone help with my query please?
  • RE: UK property (SA105) expenses

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me. One more question, as part of that new government regulations (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/smoke-and-carbon-monoxide-alarms-explanatory-booklet-for-landlords/the-smoke-and-carbon-monoxide-alarm-england-regulations-2015-qa-booklet-for-the-private-rented-sector-landlords-and-tenants#:~:text=The%20Smoke%20and%20Carbon%20Monoxide%20Alarm%20(Amendment)%20Regulations%202022%20will,room%20used%20as%20living%20accommodation). I had to purchase a carbon monoxide alarm. Would I be correct putting this expense in Box 25? If not, which box should it go under?

Hi, Thank you for your response. With the shares I hold i receive a dividend twice a year and then it is re-invested as part of the Dividend Re-Investment Plan (DRIP). Can you confirm which is correct to put on my self-assessment: - The total dividend received in that tax year? - The total dividend received in that tax plus any residual amounts brought forward from previous dividend? With another set of shares that i have owned there has been no dividend issued for 2 years though there is a DRIP cash residual amount from the years before that, does that need to be included too on the self assessment form? Thank you again.
  • UK property (SA105) expenses

Hi, I'm currently filling in my self-assessment form, regarding UK property (SA105) expenses. Having looked through all the guidance, I am still not sure under which box on the tax return to put certain expenses. There are these boxes as follows: Box 24: Rent, rates, insurance, ground rent etc Box 25: Property repairs and maintenance; and Box 27: Legal, management and other professional fees Box 29: Other allowable property expenses (stationary, business travel, misc) Am I correct that 1. Tenant referencing (background checks) expense goes in Box 27? 2. Expense for a third party to prepare the tenancy and collect the deposit goes in Box 27? 3. Replacement door keys go in Box 25? 4. Replacement ladder go in Box 25? 5. Vacuum cleaner used to clean the property between tenancies go in Box 25? if not, which box should each of these they go under?
  • Personal Savings and Dividend Allowance

Hi, I'm currently filling in my self-assessment form and i have 2 questions, please see below: - Regarding dividends, please refer to https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-dividends it clearly states that "You do not need to tell HMRC if your dividends are within the dividend allowance for the tax year." As i'm within the dividend allowance for the tax year do i need to include it on my self-assessment? - Regarding my personal savings, please refer to https://www.gov.uk/apply-tax-free-interest-on-savings . As i'm within the personal savings allowance for the tax year do i need to include it on my self-assessment? Thank you