Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Register a personal tax account for self employment

Thank you very much for your advice. While applying for the Government gateway number, there’s a page asking for identity verification, apart from my passport, it requires one more item, such as p60, driving licence or credit card. As I’m a self employed person, I don’t have any p60 (I guess it’s something to do with previous employment? I don’t have it), I don’t have any driving licence or credit card either. Can i key in my debit card instead? It does mention a phone contract, which I do have one but that’s not a very formal one, like the phone company just indicated on the customer login page when my present contract expires. But I can remember when it started. Grateful for your advice! 🙏🏻

Thank you for your reply. As I’m delivering online services to my clients, I wonder if I can claim my mobile data expense as an expenditure in filling out the self assessment tax return. However, the mobile data is not just serving my business purpose, it’s also serving the purpose of my personal usage. In that case, what should I do? Thank you in advance.

Thank you for your reply! In the self assessment tax return form, there seems to be a question asking if I have foreign income. My case is that I am working in U.K. giving online services to my clients. Some clients are overseas and don’t have a U.K. bank account to pay me, so they pay to my overseas bank account in a foreign currency, then I converted their foreign currency into sterling pounds and deposited back into my U.K. bank account. In this case, how should I answer the question about foreign income in the self assessment tax return? Is this regarded as foreign income? As I said, I’m all the while working and giving my service in U.K. but some clients just don’t have sterling pound account to pay me. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Thank you for your reply. So after I open the business tax account and file the self assessment tax return there, how would I be able to claim the personal allowance ? will my personal allowance apply automatically in the tax calculation system there? Or do I need to apply for it somewhere ?
  • Register a personal tax account for self employment

I would like to register for self assessment as i am self employed, but the link always takes me to a business tax account. However, I haven’t started any company but just working freelance on a personal basis. So can I register a personal tax account instead of a business one? How? The self employed link seems not giving me this choice at all!