Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Should I declare overseas rental income if not brought into UK?

Dear HMRC Officer, I would be really grateful for clarification on the following query. My Situation: I am a Tax Resident Domiciled in the UK. I have a property in India that gives me rental income, which is paid into my bank account in India (I have a bank account in India where I have “overseas citizen of India status”) That rental income is tax deducted at source before it is paid into my account in India. I do not bring any of that money into the UK as I use the money to help my mother who lives in India. My Question: As the rental income is already tax deducted and as I do not remit the income to the UK (by transferring the income to a UK bank account), should I still declare it in the UK as overseas rental income in my self-assessment? If at all possible, could you point me to any written guidance on this particular situation please! Thank you. TK7
  • Unremitted foreign rental income

Dear Sir, I would be really grateful for clarification on the following query. I am a Tax Resident Domiciled in the UK. I also have dual citizenship in India where I have a bank account. I have a property in India that gives me rental income, which is paid into my bank account in India. I do not bring any of that money into the UK. I use the money to help my mother who lives in India. If I do not remit the income to the UK (by transferring the income to a UK bank account), is a self assessment tax return still required to declare this foreign income? If at all possible, could you point me to any written guidance on this particular situation please. Thank you. Yours faithfully TKK