Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Could I register Self Assessment without NI while I’m not in the UK?

Thanks for the reply. I did try to fill in the SA1 form (for print & post), however, it requires me to have a valid NI number otherwise I can't continue the form. But I haven't got a NI number yet. So what should I do now for the self assessment registration? Thanks.
  • Could I register Self Assessment without NI while I’m not in the UK?

Hi. Glad to find this forum by HMRC. I notice the deadline of registering self assessment is 5 October 2022. I was trying to register it, but my problems are: -I moved to the UK last year and I haven’t got a NI -After I sign in the government gateway account and follow the steps, it asks me do I have NI number. When I reply NO for NI, then it asks my personal information to check my identity. But seems the system always reject me as it says my information doesn’t match. -So I can’t register the self assessment now. I heard that I can register it by using postal form? But I’m not sure which form I should use. -Also, I’m not in the UK at the moment and I won’t be back in a few months. Are there any ways that I can register the self assessment? -In this case, I’ll be late for registering the self assessment. Should I write to other HMRC related departments to indicate my difficulties in this registration? Thanks a lot