Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Reporting self-employed Income

    Hello, First time self-assessor here! I spent 5 months in tax year 21-22 working for a friend who paid me directly - not through PAYE, for a small company. I held back some earnings for my tax bill - that is not the problem. I was also made a Director of the company and a 20% shareholder. Do I therefore report the money I was paid as Dividends or as self-employed income? Tax advisors I have spoken to are very expensive for the small amount of income this is regarding (it is over £1,000). Any help appreciated.