Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: How to pay Voluntary contributions to fill gaps

    I am keen to help my husband make voluntary contributions to make up incomplete years of NI and I managed to get through to DHS to check that if we did so then the incomplete years (from the 'check your NI contributions' page of the website) when fully paid would then count towards his pension. I am concerned that this is a verbal confirmation, not backed up by letter or email and in later years HMRC could simply change their mind and we would have no proof of the call made today. Then I find that there is no link on the HMRC webste to facilitate payment and no mention of the need to get an 18 digit number from 0300 200 3500 although, as you suggest above, we are unlikely to get to talk to someone on that line. I am happy to pay by cheque if this is the only way to complete this before the 31st July 2023 deadline. Could you please confirm that there is no better way to transact with you. Thanks.