Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Ending a Furnished Holiday Let

Thank you. That was probably what I came across when I was looking up as much information as I could when we set up 18 months ago. I will follow that up. We have owned the property for nearly 11 years so probably VERY complicated as we have only let it since August 2020.

Thank you. Must have seen something about the 3 years minimum and transferred it to the FHL situation. Will try to fathom out what on earth it could have been.

I read HS 253 before posting my question as the answer isn’t in it as far as I can see. Please could you look again at my precise questions? If we operate the house as a FHL for at least 3 years do we avoid HMRC reassessing our tax liability? If so, is the 3 years calculated from August 15th 2020 or another date related to tax year dates? Thank you.
  • Ending a Furnished Holiday Let

My wife and I started our FHL on August 15th 2020. I understand (I’m sure I read it here somewhere) that to benefit from the special tax benefits we must operate it for 3 years. If I am correct, would that be 3 years from that date or do tax years come into play? If we operated it until sale, what is the earliest date a sale could be completed to maintain the tax benefits?