Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: Foreign Income

    Good morning. Please could I get some advice and guidance in regards to my situation? I am a veterinary surgeon currently employed part time via PAYE and working ad hoc shifts on a self employed basis in the UK. I therefore file a tax return every year. I have been recently offered to work some ad-hoc locum shifts in Norway. I am aware of the double tax treaty between the UK and Norway, however I could not find any guidance on what steps to follow to get started. My questions are: 1. Should I apply for a tax exemption in Norway in order to pay my tax solely in the UK? 2. What if I stay in Norway more than 183 days in a tax year, but I am registered in the UK for tax purposes (PAYE job, mortgage)? Do I need to report my earnings to the Norwegian tax office, but continue to pay my tax in the UK? 3. Can I continue to pay my taxes in the UK for my UK jobs and pay my taxes in Norway for my self employed earnings in Norway separately or do I always pay my taxes in one country at a time? Would I need to fill a tax return in each country and mention the foreign income from both? I will be very grateful if I could get any clarification on those. Kind regards.