Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: HMRC not answering phones, 3rd day and cannot get through to speak on their help line

I tried on Tuesday at about 2pm. What with all the preliminaries I got through in 25 minutes. Though it said it was 'very busy', perhaps that's not a bad time of day to try. The 'sorry to keep you waiting' voice repetition isn't nice to hear, but all I can say is persist. If you can do other work while waiting (despite the distracting voice), that also helps. At least the call is free. Good luck
  • RE: Unable to File A Self Assessment despite having a Gateway Account. What is a User ID?

I went onto Technical support, and resolved it. My problem was that I changed my Government Gateway ID (I needed to do so a number of years ago in relation to a different tax issue). Therefore, my advice to anyone in a similar situation is... 1. Try to find your first ever Government Gateway Number. 2.You presumably have forgotten the password, so you will need to go through the process of creating a new one. All this can be done in minutes.
  • Unable to File A Self Assessment despite having a Gateway Account. What is a User ID?

I have been having a problem trying to sign in using Government Gateway for years. I used Verify instead, but now I can no longer use that. The simplest way to explain what I do is in stages, and state DONE when successful Stage 1 Sign in to File Your Tax Return. DONE Stage 2 Sign In Using Government Gateway DONE Stage 3 Reach ACCOUNT HOME which gives me certain information but does not allow me to file a return. There is a SELF ASSESSMENT section which I click. This shows me something that says YOU ARE NOT SIGNED IN TO THE RIGHT ACCOUNT Stage 4 Click YOU ARE NOT SIGNED IN TO THE RIGHT ACCOUNT and get DO YOU KNOW THE USER ID AND PASSWORD YOU USE FOR THE ACCOUNT YOU USE FOR SELF ASSESSMENT? My user ID is my Government Gateway 12 digit number, and my password is my Government Gateway password. If it isn't that, what else could it possibly be? I don't have another User ID Stage 5 it says YOU NEED TO SIGN BACK IN TO GOVERNMENT GATEWAY USING DIFFERENT DETAILS. I use the Government Gateway 12 digit number, and my Government Gateway password. I am back to STAGE1 again What I am asking then is what is a User ID? If it is different from Government Gateway User ID, how do I get it? Any help is greatly appreciated as it is so frustrating