Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: BNO

    If Split Year treatment is not applicable, overseas income or gains will be subject to the UK tax from 6 April 2022
  • RE: BNO

    I moved from Hong Kong to the UK and became a UK resident in 2021/22. I sold a property in Hong Kong on 1 May 2021 which I used as my home over the entire ownership and made a capital gain on this disposal. I rented a flat in the UK as my home. Do I need to nominate my Hong Kong home in order to get Private Residence Relief, knowing the fact that if I nominate my Hong Kong home I need to stay in this Hong Kong home for at least 90 days in the tax year? If I do not need to nominate the Hong Kong home, would I get the PRR? If there is no capital gain tax on this disposal, do I need to file such a transaction in my tax return?
  • RE: BNO

    Thank you for your reply. I understand I will count my residency days from the date I arrived in the UK. My question is when Split Year Treatment is applicable, would the date that I started to have UK home (27 October. 2020) be the date that split into non-UK resident part and UK resident part for 2020/21. So that my overseas income and gains for the period from 6 April 2020 to 26 October 2020 are not subject to UK and my overseas income and gains for the period from 27 October 2020 to 5 April 2021 are subject to UK tax
  • RE: BNO

    I arrived UK on 1 Oct 2020 and become a UK resident first time in 2020/21. If Split Year Treatment is not applicable, I know I would become a UK resident from 6 April 2020. I am not a UK resident in 2019/20, I started to have a UK home on 27 October 2020 and I am a non UK resident between 6 April 2020 and 27 October 2020, Please confirm that the date I become a UK resident is 27 October 2020.
  • RE: BNO

    Your answer is not to the question that I asked. Under UK/Hong Kong Double Taxation Treaty and DT9207, stated that pensions arise in Hong Kong are taxable ONLY in Hong Kong. Therefore there is no liability to UK tax for a Hong Kong pension received by a UK resident after 5 April 2011. Please confirm my understanding is correct.
  • RE: BNO

    After I declare this pension, would my pension be charged on Income Tax, and if so how? I understand pension in the UK is charged in the following manner: 25% of the lump sum is free (personal allowance not affected), remaining 75% lump sum would be treated as income
  • BNO

    I have a MPF (Mandatory Pension Fund) in HK. If payment out of the MPF paid to me after I become UK resident. Is it subject to UK tax. Does Article 17 of UK/HK Double Tax Agreement stated Pensions arising in HK paid to a UK resident, is only taxable in HK JL