Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • working remotely for a UK company from the EU and married to a diplomat

    Hi, I am employed by a UK company and my wife will move to EU to work for the embassy there. We are both UK citizens. I will also have a diplomatic passport. There is the Vienna Convention article 37. that says i should have the same tax treatment like my wife. My wife will work fully in EU but will be taxed as a uk resident. I understand that there is a minimum number of day that i need to be physically in the UK to maintain my tax residence i the UK. What is the minimum number of days i need to be physically in the UK so any employer will not have issues employing me. There is a good HMRC link with a questionnaire for tax residency outcome but 1 particular question is ambiguous (Do you work in the UK). So it's either 183, 90 or 15 days to be present in the UK to be considered a UK employee from what i can see. But I am confused. Does anyone know what's the minimum number of days to be present in the UK so am tax resident here and also i don't create any issues with for my employer? Thanks very much