Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Verifying Identity

HMRC Admin 2's response above is, finally and thankfully, a reasonably helpful response. If I read it right the (implied) essence is that you should just ignore e.g. Digidentity (who are useless frankly) and just use the Gov.UK Verify service. Once you start having problems using this service - you should then go to the 'Get help with this page' link.... The thing there is though, most people do not see that link. They don't look for it. They just assume that there is something wrong with what they've already done and then try and go through the process again. And again.... Can I respectfully suggest that the Gov.UK Verify page is amended so that the 'Get help with this page' bit reads something more like - 'If you are having issues confirming your identity using this service then please contact.....'. Perhaps this could also be made more prominent (like directly underneath the bits where you have to upload your documents and in BOLD type). This might help many taxpayers avoid long and unnecessary delays which might result in them having to e.g. pay fines if they've not been able to verify their identity close to the filing deadline. At the end of the day, HMRC and other Government departments are here to assist us, the taxpayers who pay HMRC's costs. Additionally, it would help everybody, including Government agencies, if problems in services such as Verify are ironed out. A smoother life for all helps greatly. Oh, and avoid Digidentity etc. like the plague. They are totally unhelpful. If you hit a brick wall as you have no credit history, they will do nothing more than tell you that you need to have a credit history. it would be very helpful if HMRC could acknowledge this communication and confirm that the above suggestion might be sent to somebody somewhere who might take it on board. Bearing in mind that the Gov Verify service isn't just used for HMRC purposes.. Many thanks. . I await HMRC Admin's reply. To be followed up if none received.

It's very, very difficult to understand why HMRC Admin are unable to undersatnd the issue. If you do not have a credit history, then you can't confirm confirm your identity online. The P60 route just takes you round in a circle. Please can HMRC Admin. send this query further up the chain to someone who might be able to better explain, why, if you have two official forms of ID but no credit history you can't confirm your identity online. As this is a policy issue, a direct policy decision must have been made for this to be so. This should not be a difficult question to answer if it is given to the right person. This does not help Anezka in any way however. I will follow this up in a couple of working days by which time I would hope that HMRC can at least confirm that this issue is being sent 'further up the chain'. In a previous post I said I would be in contact with my MP/Moneybox, etc. I haven't as yet. I think now (or in a few days at the latest) is the time to do so. I look forward to HMRC Admin's reply/ Thank you.

Dear Anezka - this is not a helpful response from me, but it will be interesting to see what HMRC says (if anything). They have not made any further comment in response to my post of 8 days ago. Let's see if they can provide anything of use for you. Regards.

To: Phil-S. - Thank you! To: Marchael Cartlidge - Hopefully HMRC's response above helps. A bit. Comment: - Phil-S' post sums it all up. Very, very disappointing performance on behalf of UK Gov. I also contacted Digidentity to get their comment. Their response was that they, and Government (they didn't say which)) believe that two forms of official ID (recorded as belonging to someone who resides at the same address as the applicant) are insufficient to confirm identity as someone may e.g. break into a person's house, steal the relevant documents and then try to steal a person's identity... so a credit check is also required.... Like a sophisticated villain can't also try and steal a person's credit history - credit theft has never been known before (sarcasm a) intended & b) definitely merited!!). HMRC can receive a copy of Digidentity's response to me upon request - they have my emails details as a part of the registration process for this Forum. Digidentity's response was wholly unacceptable in my view and demonstrates clear flaws (to say nothing of ridiculous excuse making) in this process. As already said, two official UK issued documents which show a person's identity (you even have to upload a copy of your passport as well as also uploading a photograph of yourself taken on your smartphone to confirm that you look like your passport photo...) shoud be sufficient. If there are any further causes for concern, as this is all electronic, an electronic red flag could be raised which then requires Gov Verify/Digidentity/Other provider to make further query by a human being (like asking you to produce bank statements, or something similar). This should not be too difficult to work through. I'm sure that these third party service providers are being paid more than enough for their services to be able to work these further actions into their pricing structure... Let's not forget, HMRC, etc. ultimately work on behalf of the taxpayers who pay for Government services.. Unless I've misunderstood how these things are supposed to work! I wonder if HMRC has a useful reply (to what I admit is a very sarcastic but also in my view reasonably - frustrated post)!
  • RE: self assessment verify problem

Regarding my post of 2 days ago. HMRC has not yet posted a response. It should not take more than 2 days to provide a response. I would be grateful if a response (at a minimum informing me exactly who should be contacted and via what mechanism - including identifying the relevant sections of any websites) could be provided without any further delay. A reminder that HMRC is a Government 'Agency' (or, rather, a branch of Government). As such HMRC acts on behalf of the UK Government and therefore UK citizens. If HMRC chooses to use (a) third party service(s) that is/are unable to recognise a UK citizen from two Government issued official documents, then the Government and any of its 'Agencies' are falling down in their responsibilities to its citizens. Whilst it is reasonable to expect that more than one form of official identity document be provided when proving identity, it is unreasonable that a credit check is also required. It is more than foreseeable that a person may not have a credit history. Not every body takes out a loan/credit card/other form of financial instrument that provides a credit check. It is also unacceptable to say that HMRC is not responsible for the actions of its third party service providers. These service providers provide a 'service'. If the provider cannot confirm identity using two Government issued documents, then that provider is failing in its 'service'. Particularly where areas such as HMRC/UK state benefits are involved. Most (but not all) people do have bank accounts registered at their home addresses (again a bank account of itself does not necessarily provide any credit history). This, as a third form of identity should be more than enough evidence to confirm that someone exists! Note also that at the moment in our particular situation we are unable to e.g. visit a Post Office/bank as we are having to self-isolate due to a family member being in the highly vulnerable category. This can also be checked quite easily! A copy of the Government letter confirming that person's status is very easily provided.

The above is a totally unhelpful response. It basically says that HMRC washes its hands of any responsibility. HMRC is a Government Agency but it's mechanisms (whether its own or those offered by a third party) are not flexible enough to recognise a UK citizen who has been issued with two separate official Government Agency issued documents. Which is unacceptable. Please advise exactly who I should write to (over and above 'relevant sections of the gov.uk/verify website' as, so far, there doesn't appear to be any that I can find). Copies going to my MP, MoneyBox Radio 4 and anybody else I can think of.

It is very very difficult to understand why HMRC cannot understand that Gov.UK Verify and Digidentity doesn't work. We have tried to prove identity by putting in valid driving licence and passport details. These are two Government issued official documents and should be more than adequate to provide identity. However we have no credit history (even though having a UK bank account). Therefore GOv.Uk and Digidentity refuse to prove identity. HMRC say that they cannot comment on services operated by third parties. However GOV.UK Verify is a UK Government service which refuses to recognise UK Government issued documents. This is a nonsense. There must be some form of process that can be used by Government Agencies that is not reliant on third party providers who cannot recognise official documents without a credit history. PS we cannot go a Post Office as we are having to self-isolate due to Covid-19. Please can HMRC provide a more useful response to those already provided which get you absolutely nowhere. Thank you.
  • Verifying Identity

The Verify Identity service (both the Gov.UK and Digidentity) refuses to confirm my identity. I have uploaded my driving licence and my passport details. I have double checked everything. I do not have much of a credit history, which might be why I am being rejected, but I do have a UK bank account. What do I need to do to get my identify verified. I am going round and round in cicrcles and getting nowhere. I cannot go to a post office as we are having to self-isolate. There must be a way that I can get myself identified if I have the correct documents, surely?