Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Employment in Hong Kong after moved to UK from Oct to Dec 2020.

Hi, I have moved from HK to UK on 9th October 2020. After moving to UK, I still working for the organisation in HK as an employee until the end of Dec 2020. Then I am working as a freelancer with the same organisation starting from 1st Jan 2021. I have some questions. In the self-assessment tax return, session Tailor your return Page 1. In the tax year 6 April 2020 to 5 April 2021: Were you an employee (or director or office holder) or agency worker in the year to 5 April 2021? (In my situation what should I choose? Yes or No?) As my employer is in HK and they haven't office in UK and haven't taken off any Tax in UK. If the answer is yes, In the session of Fill in your return, how can I fill in the Employer's PAYE Reference? (e.g None?) And in the field of UK tax taken off xxx pay: Can I enter Zero? Or do I just need to fill in the foreign income for the income from my employment between 9th Oct 2020 to 31st Dec 2020 and the freelancer income? Thanks for your advice. 
  • Allowable expense claim of working from home as freelancer in UK for foreign organisation.

Hi, I want to clarify what is the allowable expense claim of working from home as a freelancer in UK for a foreign organisation in Hong Kong? I rented a property with two bedrooms apartment with my wife and son. So, can I claim the rental fees as expenses through self-assessment tax return? In my case the monthly rental fee is 1,200, my rental property has three rooms(two bedrooms and one living room) And I have worked from Monday to Friday 6am-2:30pm (8.5 hours per day, 42.5 hours per week and 170 hours per month) So, can I claim the rental fees as 1,200/3 =400 per month as expenses? And the electricity bills also can be claimed as expenses in the same way? (e.g. 60 per month and claim 60/3 = 20 per month for expenses claim) Thanks for your advice. Best regards, Enoch
  • RE: Cannot register self assessment for self employed without National Insurance number.

Hi, Thanks for your reply, but seems the SA1 form is still not available at the moment. Do you have the link that is workable on your side? I am getting the Error said "This HM Revenue & Customs web service is currently unavailable. We apologise for this inconvenience. Some of our online services may be available, please follow the link below to access them. If the service you wish to use is not currently available please try again later." Thanks for your advice.
  • Cannot register self assessment for self employed without National Insurance number.

Hi, as I still waiting for the National Insurance number at the moment and I need to register the self-employed for self-assessment. I tried to register the government gateway account, but no success as I can't provide the NI number. I also can't fill in the form of CWF1 as requested to provide the NI number too. After that, I tried to open the link https://public-online.hmrc.gov.uk/lc/content/xfaforms/profiles/forms.html?contentRoot=repository:///Applications/SA_iForms/1.0/SA1&template=SA1.xdp to want to fill in the SA1 form and post it. But no success too and got the message as below. This HM Revenue & Customs web service is currently unavailable. We apologise for this inconvenience. Some of our online services may be available, please follow the link below to access them. If the service you wish to use is not currently available please try again later. I already tried few times on different days recently, but the issue persists. I have some questions. 1) In my case, which forms I should choose? (SA1 or CWF1?) ( I am self-employed and working for a foreign organisation as a freelancer.) 2)If both SA1 and CWF1 forms that I can't fill in, any alternative ways that I can register my self employed self-assessment without a national insurance number? Thanks for your advice.
  • Freelancer for Foreign Organisation

Hi, I have moved to UK in October 2020 and working as a full-time employee until the end of 2020 and start to be a freelancer until now. I have few questions about the self accessment, tax return and National insurance. 1. How can I register for self-assessment without a National Insurance number? As I still waiting for the National Insurance number. 2. What kind of Self Assessment I should register for? Which form should I fill? How can I fill the form if still waiting for the NI number? 3. Should I be classified as self-employed as I haven't formed a company for my Freelancer works? 4. If my wife hasn't worked since moving to UK, how can she share her tax allowance with me? How much tax allowance can she share with me? 5. Should I contribute to National Insurance in my situation as I am working for Foreign Organisation as a freelancer? Thanks for your advice.