Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Personal Allowance

Not HMRC but your personal allowance is only ever a maximum of 12570. You may have a tax free allowance from your tax code of more than this, but that will be because it's made up of more than your personal allowance, not because your personal allowance has increased. The marriage transfer is also a tax reducer rather than an allowance or extension to rate band. So the transfer is ignored when determining which rate bands your income falls into. Its only after determining which rate bands the income falls into that eligibility for marriage transfer can be met The transfer of 10% of one spouses personal allowance to the other isn't an allowance. Its a tax reduction. So it doesn't give an allowance or extend any of the rate bands.
  • RE: Tax Free Childcare- Adjusted Net Income Clarification with SIPP contributions from prev year

Not hmrc and not sure if other person (sportyfae) answered as i cant see their response but you can only carry forward the allowance. You can't carry back the contributions. So no, you can't claim it on the previous years income. Only on the income from the year the contribution was actually made.
  • RE: UK pensions, annuities or state benefits

Not hmrc, so you may wish to wait for their official response. But as I understand it, SMP isn't a state benefit (it's earnings, paid by your employer) though it is taxable and should be included on any p45 or p60 you have been given (or will be given at a future date).
  • RE: Tax Relief on Pension Contributions at Higher Rate

I'm not hmrc but I think I might be able to help . Your contribution to the pension isn't £120. It's £100. The extra £20 is given to you, not deducted from you. This is why the hmrc admin said the £100 contribution costs you £60. It was £60 you paid tax on, not £80. It's only the fact the higher rate element is refunded by hmrc that causes confusion. In essence, it costs you £60, £40 in tax relief makes it up to £100. Its just that you initially pay £20 of the tax relief that's added to the pension and then have it refunded by hmrc later. Hope that helps, sorry if it doesn't!
  • RE: Inherited property with debt

Not hmrc but there seems to be some confusion in your post. A charge is not a debt. And no disposal of the property can take place without the charge being satisfied. Which should have happened after the owner passed away and before any bequests (that they had made in their will or under the laws of succession/intestacy) could be considered or fulfilled. So there should never be a scenario of inheriting (or otherwise being transferred) a property with outstanding charges on it.
  • RE: Self-catering cleaning costs - incidential costs or disbursements?

Not hmrc, but it sounds like services aren't being supplied to your clients. It's being supplied to you (so you can relet the property), but paid for by your clients.
  • RE: CGT for Letting relief

I'm not hmrc but the new restrictions on the relief apply to any disposal made after 6th April 2020.
  • RE: How to attribute property income tax rules to 6 months lodger vs 6 months whole house rent?

Simon, that page you've linked is where the property being let isn't residential accommodation (ie offices are being let). See this PIM page under 'qualifying indivudial' where it references the same s785 of ITTOIA that I did in my previous reply. https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/property-income-manual/pim4001 Importantly, see the very last paragraph on that page, where HMRC say: "Therefore, there can be no rent-a-room relief where the property ceased to be used as the taxpayer’s accommodation before the letting began (or commenced to be used as the taxpayer’s accommodation after the letting ceased), even if that is in the same year of assessment."
  • RE: How to attribute property income tax rules to 6 months lodger vs 6 months whole house rent?

Simon, I'm not hmrc but in order to be eligible for rent a room, all of your receipts from letting need to be rent a room receipts. If you have any other trade income or letting income (such as letting to a tenant) the yiu are not eligible. S785 ITTOIA 2005.
  • RE: Self-employed studio flat Home Allowance calculation

I'm not hmrc, but I believe hmrc have given you the right advice. The only time rent would be allowable would be if part of your home was solely used for business purposes (such as a therapist having a room in their home set aside and used only for counselling/therapy sessions). In your circumstances, it would seem impossible to identify any part of the rent expenditure that was incurred wholly and exclusively for business purposes and therefore no part of the expenditure would be allowable in the computation of profits. See the 2nd last paragraph here: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/business-income-manual/bim47810