Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Foreign shares loss and properties sales capital gain

    Hi, I moved to the UK last Oct and I'm trying to fill my first self assessment. My case is like: 1. I bought and sold foreign shares. I have a net LOSS. In this case I believe there is no CGT. 2. I sold my house in a foreign country. The disposal was done within 9 months after I moved out of the property. In this case I would not need to pay CGT. Consider both 1 &2, do I still need to report the gain/loss in the self assessment? If yes, do I need to fill in the SAME gain/loss in BOTH SA106 and SA108? Thanks for your help. Regards, 

    Name removed Admin
  • Registered for self-assessment using SA1 but now need to setup a sole trader

    Hello, In Feb I registered for self-assessment using SA1 form to report on my CGT on shares. I already have received a URT. Recently I started doing freelance work for a foreign company and the income will be more than 1000 pounds. I saw on HMRC website that I should register as a sole trader. In this case, can I use the same URT for self-assessment as a sole trader? if not, do I need to register for self-assessment again (using a different form?). Thanks. Kind Regards, Fai