Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Self Assessment submission

Hello, I was a UK Tax Resident from 2010 -> September 2021. I completed a UK self assessment tax return online for the last few tax years. I moved to New Zealand in September 2021 and now reside here permanently. I am going to complete my 2021/2022 UK tax return as instructed - the question I have is whether I am able to do this online via my HMRC account OR do I have to post the forms to the UK/use a tax professional with applicable software? I have received conflicting information - I spoke with a Self Assessment advisor over the phone last year who said I can complete the forms online as normal, however I have just logged in to this system and am met with a notification advising that non UK residents need to submit the assessment using another method i.e post or using applicable accounting software. Please advise. Thanks
  • RE: Former employer incorrect FPS submission

The former employer has withheld the tax already, which is fine and is not the problem here. The issue is they have not reported this correctly to HMRC (they say they sent it and are blaming HMRC) so it will not match what I submit as part of my self assessment. So I ask again: If I submit the correct details as part of my self assessment and attach the payslips to show the tax has been withheld will that be sufficient? Will HMRC expect me to repay tax or will they chase my former employer to investigate the incorrect reporting?
  • Former employer incorrect FPS submission

Hello, I left my former employer in the 2020/21 tax year. I sold some stock options in the current tax year 2021/22 and they have withheld tax at a ~54% rate, however their FPS submissions have not registered with HMRC so this is not showing in my personal tax account. They must be inputting something wrong. If I submit the correct details as part of my self assessment and attach the payslips to show the tax has been withheld will that be sufficient? Will HMRC expect me to repay tax or will they chase my former employer to investigate the incorrect reporting? I should be receiving a substantial tax refund but am unsure how I can get this if they have withheld it at source but not reported it correctly. Thanks
  • RE: Leaving UK - P85 questions

Hi I don't need to send in a p45 as I can enter the figure in the appropriate field on the p85 online form. The question is how I report the additional income in order to be repaid tax. The P85 online form only has a field for the p45 figure - it does not allow you to enter any additional information.

Hi, There is no field available on the online form to enter a separate amount or a way to add attachments. Is postal the only option here? Thanks

Hi, No the additional income is from the sale of stock options granted by a previous employer. They were subject to income tax, and are the source of the overpayment. How should I proceed? Thanks

Thank you. "You would enter the details on the P45. Previous employment for the year should already be held on our system. If you have left more than one job, then we would need the P45 for all of these employments" -- The additional income from other sources is from the proceeds of stock option sales (previous employer) so I do not have another p45 to add. They withhold tax and report to HMRC so it should be recorded on your system. Can I add the total received from the stock option sales to the figure on my p45 to give the total taxable income for the period 5 April -> the date I left the UK?
  • Leaving UK - P85 questions

Hello, I have just left the UK and have questions about the p85. Section: Income from the UK Q: I will likely receive proceeds from the sale of stock options (options vested in the UK and are taxable there) in UK in tax years 2022/23 and/or 2023/24, however this is not regular income and is not guaranteed. Should I still choose flag this as continuing to receive income from the UK or answer 'no' to this question? Section: Your p45 Q: I have my most recent p45 and have entered the details, however I have received income from other sources in the current tax year, do I add this up and provide a total figure? I have overpaid income tax and would like to reclaim this asap.