Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: How to claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief on income 2019-20?

Also, I answered 'No' to "Do you wish to claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief on Capital Gains" in the "Tailor your return" section. Should I have answered 'Yes' to this question? (my income was from employment rather than capital gains).

With regards to your question "I am also assuming that you are being charged UK tax on the foreign employment income?", I was paying tax in the Netherlands through the Dutch umbrella company which was paying me. Should I even declare this income on my UK tax return? I have answered the Employment questions as follows: - 1. Pay from this employment – the total from your P45 or P60 – before tax was taken off: [I entered my earned amount here, converted to GBP] - 2. UK tax taken off pay in box 1: [I have left this blank]

Hi, thank you for the link to Self Asssessment: general enquiries. Unfortunately, it always says "All of our advisers are busy at the moment. You can remain on this page and one may become available." Is there any chance you can be more specific about "This should be there if you have added your details correctly." I believe I have added my details correctly, and I am becoming concerned because I don't see a way to resolve this, and I don't want to and can't afford to pay more than £15,000 of tax twice. Yours, Edmund

Thank you for your response, it's useful to know what I should be seeing. However, I do not see a page telling me how it has calculated my foreign tax credit relief due. When I click on 'View your calculation', it just displays the calculation which doesn't take into account tax already paid. Perhaps the page you are referring to (telling me how it has calculated my foreign tax credit relief due) is meant to be displayed earlier. When I go into the 'Change overseas employment and self-employment' section, and click on 'Save and continue', it gets "stuck" and re-displays the same page. Is this where I should see the page you are referring to? Are there any other questions which affect whether this page is displayed which I could be answering incorrectly? e.g. I answer No to the question “Do you wish to claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief on Capital Gains”, because my foreign income was from employment rather than capital gains. Thanks again.
  • How to claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief on income 2019-20?

Self assessment online for 2019-20: I received employment income and paid tax on it in the Netherlands. I am a UK resident. I enter the overseas income (but not the tax) in the Employment section. I enter the overseas income, tax already paid overseas and country (NLD) in the Foreign section. However, the tax calculation does not take into account the tax already paid. I have not gone beyond 'View your calculation'. I have a (perhaps incorrect) memory that the Foreign section for the 2018-19 Self Assessment had a checkbox "Do you wish to claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief", but I cannot see any such checkbox for 2019-20. How can I complete the online Self Assessment without being double charged tax on overseas income? Thank you.