Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Self Assessment - Property repairs and maintenance section

This is getting very confusing....... My SA return seems to be different to BMad's - is that even at all possible??? or am I am reading it wrong!! Box 36 on my return is "All other Capital Allowances" Box 37 on my return is "Cost of replacing domestic items - for residential lettings only" Box 27 on my return is "Property repairs and maintenance" So going by the boxes on my SA return, and if i disregard what HMRC Admin2 said as this differs from what HMRC Admin 17 said, I think, can you confirm that:- Painting and decorating should come under Box 27 -"Property repairs and maintenance" - (this has been missed from the discussion and maybe this is what HMRC Admin 2 meant instead of carpets) Carpets should come under Box 37-"Cost of replacing domestic items - for residential lettings only" Washer/dryer should also come under Box 37 -"Cost of replacing domestic items - for residential lettings only" Many thanks
  • RE: Self Assessment - Property repairs and maintenance section

Many thanks for the replies. I am so sorry but I have absolutely no financial aptitude or knowhow what so ever and now I don't know whether the best place to put the expenses for re-carpeting, re-painting and decorating, and replacing old washer/dryer in:- Expenses for other Property Income - Box 27 Property repairs and maintenance or Adjustments for Other Property income - Box 37 - Costs of replacing domestic items– for residential lettings only They both look viable options to me, but I don't want to put them in the wrong place. Thanks
  • Self Assessment - Property repairs and maintenance section

I rent out 1 UK property. Previously I used 10% wear and tear section, but this is no longer an option. I have had the flat re-carpeted and painted and decorated and installed new washer/dryer - where do I put these expenses on the Self Assessment, is it the Property repairs and maintenance section? Any advice would be appreciated thank you.