Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Cash Gift from Parents and other cash saving oversea

    I and my wife lived and worked in Hong Kong for our whole life before we come to UK. We entered UK for our FIRST TIME via BNO Visa on 13 Feb 2022. Currently we are unemployed and living in friend's home. We will continue to live and stay in UK. My parent in Hong Kong will give me HKD $500000 (about GBP £49000) as gift to my Hong Kong bank account in end of March 2022. I will then exchange the money (gift) to GBP and transfer it together with all my other cash saving to my UK bank account in end of March. Q1) Are we UK resident in 2021-2022 tax year? Q2) Do I have to declare this money (gift) and is it taxable? Q3) Do I have to pay tax for my other saving? Thanks.