Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Payment on account reduction

    My tax due in my self -assessment has gone down this year. The payments on account I have already paid were based on last year's higher assessment. For my next payment due by January 31, can I deduct the over payment and pay a lower amount (50% of this year's calculation minus the total amount overpaid). Is this what the field "Decrease in tax due because of adjustments to an earlier year: (optional)" is for? - although the help for this field only talks about making a loss. I didn't make a loss, just not as much as last year. When my income in previous years has gone up I have simply paid the extra in my January payment, so I presume I can just do the same for lower income, and pay less in my January payment. They have all the information to calculate this for me so I'm not sure why their calculations can't show me the reduced January payment automatically.