Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• How to confirm identity for self assessment if I don't have a UK passport or drivers licence?

I've been trying to register for self-assessment online but keep getting stuck because it seems like I don't have enough documents to verify my identity. Even when I choose a P60 or payslip and then credit reference questions, which I assumed were the 2 options I can choose, it just leads me to another page which narrows down my options to Payslip/P60 UK passport Driving Licence I can then only provide a payslip or P60, so I'm very confused why the credit check isn't an option anymore, as this only disables me to verify my identity? When I then say that I don't have 2 of these items, it says that "If you cannot give us details about two items, you will need to contact HMRC to get help", after which I phoned them up and it seems like I'll have to do everything on paper in the future. Is there no way to verify my identity with my German passport and a P60 for example? I'd very much like to sort all of my taxes digitally online. Hope this makes sense and that anyone can help, thank you!