Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: Business mileage from home to various sites

    Again, similar query re. LA working. I work 99% of my time at home as an Agile Worker. The other 1% of my time is spent on visits to various different places in the community as part of my role and very very occasionally in the office. In the LA agile working policy it says 'These roles predominantly do not have a fixed location. The predominant base will be home and visits to a council place of work is for collaborative working and occasional desk-based tasks'. They have now confused the issue by saying the contractural base is an office location for all employees. However the desk space in the office is now, since Covid, greatly reduced and it would be impossible for all staff or even half the staff to be in the office at the same time which now makes home working essential and permanent and therefore no longer really a choice for anything other than ad hoc desk hopping. I am only ever in the office on an ad hoc basis to pick something up when I am in and out again, or if my manager calls an ad hoc face to face team meeting. No work in the office is ever the same day or time, is never regular and is usually several weeks or even months apart. As home, according to LA policy, is my base and it is not expected that I should be in the office except for collaborative working and occasional desk based tasks, can I claim all my travelling expenses and working time from home? Example - I work from 7.30am every day from home If I go to see someone in the community (all different places, businesses, community groups), or go to other LA premises as a one off, during my working day, for work purposes, can I claim travelling expenses and working time there and back from home? e.g. I have started work at 7.30am, I then go, for work, to see a group in the community at 10.00am and travel back home at 11.00am when I continue to work at home. My employer says for the first and last journey in a day for work I cannot claim travel expenses over and above what my mileage to the office would have been and so that has to be deducted from mileage claims (Even though I very rarely go to the office). I also have to deduct the TIME for the first and last journeys for what my travel time to the office would be, So I also lose time every time I leave the house for work, as part of my working day that I then have to make up! I have read and read HMRC rules and cannot get clarity on this issue. Can you help me please? Thank you
  • Agile worker

    I am classed as an agile worker in my workplace. I work 99.9% of my work time at home only very occasionally going into the office on an ad hoc basis as I need to or my manager asks me to. I also do ad hoc visits in the community from home. In policy it says base is home but they also say I have a fixed workplace which is an office. I start work at home at 7.30am. After this start time I may later go on a visit in the community. I have always started work at home before going anywhere including to the office. Two questions 1. Can I claim travelling expenses for all my journeys or is there a regular commute in all this? 2. Do I have to deduct time for a regular commute at any point? Please don’t give me links to HMRC site because I have read it until I am exhausted. I just need someone to put the rules in plain English please. Thank you.
  • Agile worker

    I am classed as an agile worker in my workplace. I work 99.9% of my work time at home only very occasionally going into the office on an ad hoc basis as I need to or my manager asks me to. I also do ad hoc visits in the community from home. In policy it says base is home but they also say I have a fixed workplace which is an office. I start work at home at 7.30am. After this start time I may later go on a visit in the community. I have always started work at home before going anywhere including to the office. Two questions 1. Can I claim travelling expenses for all my journeys or is there a regular commute in all this? 2. Do I have to deduct time for a regular commute at any point? Please don’t give me links to HMRC site because I have read it until I am exhausted. I just need someone to put the rules in plain English please. Thank you.