Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Child Benefit Tax

    Hello, I have 2 kids - and I claim Child Benefit for both which comes up to circa £1827 per year which I get from the government. As I recently fell into the 60K tax bracket, I expected that I need to repay this £1800 back to the govt. However, I got a PAYE change letter from HMRC which says that Child Benefit is £4712. Can you help me understand how the £1827 changed to £4712 Below is from the HMRC site: How your tax-free amount is calculated How we calculate it Previous tax code Current tax code Personal Allowance £12,570 £12,570 Additions Gift Aid Payments £388 £175 Job expenses £312 £312 Total additions £700 £487 Deductions Underpayment from previous year You underpaid £549 tax in a previous tax year £1,373 £1,373 Child Benefit £0 £4,712 Estimated tax you owe this year We estimate you have underpaid £658.00 tax £0 £2,743 Other items from <> £380 £380 Total deductions £1,753 £9,208 Your total tax-free amount £11,517 £3,849
  • When to File Self Assessment for Self Employed

    Hi, I started work as Self Employed in July 2021. Could someone guide me on when I need to file my returns? Is it by Jan 2022? or by Jan 2023? Thanks.