Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Am I eligible for the Marriage Allowance?

Spoke to a different advisor this morning who said that I was still classed as a higher rate tax payer as, although I was under the HICBC (c. 50k), the basic rate allowance is much lower than this as it does not include the personal allowance. Therefore, I would not be eligible for marriage allowance. This conflicts with the advice provided above by ‘HMRC Admin 32’, I think. Could we get some clarity, please?
  • RE: Am I eligible for the Marriage Allowance?

I contacted your SA customer service today. After 45 mins on hold: advisor told me my wife’s application to transfer the allowance had been rejected because I’m classed as a higher rate earner. I explained that my pensions contributions made my adjusted net income below the HR threshold, so the Advisor went off to ask someone and 20 mins later I got an automated message thanking me for my call and I was then disconnected. So, now I have to phone back tomorrow in another lunch break and go through this rigmarole again. Frustrating, but at least I’ve found this response to help me explain it to whoever answers my call. I have checked my tax free amount and I can see the marriage allowance has been applied for this year and next, so I can’t understand why the advisor thought otherwise (my earnings are roughly the same each year). One issue is that I cannot go back to previous tax years on my SA and amend them, so I’m being unfairly prevented from claiming it.