Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• Tax relief for home office desk for work use (employee)

Hi: Some context first: I am a full time employee and I work from home almost all the time with visits to the office once per quarter. My manager encourages it as it saves commute time and I get to work a little more as well as save a little time. However officially my contract states I am office based. I recently had an injury to my back and surgery so I am looking to buy some equipment for my home office to use for my work, i.e. a sit stand desk + other bits like a monitor arm costing about £550. I have previously already purchased the monitor itself. My employer didn't want to pay for the monitor at home. I don't think they will pay for the sit stand desk and monitor arm. Question: Am I able to claim tax relief for these purchases given that I only use them for work? Would it make a difference to the answer if I ask my employer to make my work from home arrangement official? Maybe relevant: I have claimed the £6 week for working from home covid allowance. Many thanks in advance for the support