Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: “you need a suppliers declaration proving the origin of goods"

Hi Old timer Many Thanks again for yr helpful words. By any chance do you know where i can find words similar to the below, but in a more formal setting. Eg website belonging to HMRC , a chartered accountant etc. I completely believe you, but all them others …. kind regards Martin Billington Export Ltd “Suppliers’ declarations are only required if you are making a declaration of ' UK preferential origin' when trading under a trade agreement the UK has concluded such as the one with the EU. It is not an obligation to use the trade agreement or provide the statement on origin provided for in the agreement . It is likely with old goods that you cannot meet or provide proof under the rules of origin requirements for the goods under the trade agreement they can still be traded, but they will not be able to benefit from a reduced rate of Customs Duty.”

Old timer. thank you! Yr thoughts are a breath of fresh air .........

HMRC admin 2 . thanks fr your reply, I do appreciate it. However …… Think of me as an antiques dealer. The valves were manufactured 40 or 80 years ago. A lot of the stock on my shelf is valves I purchased 5 years ago, or even 15 years ago. When I bought it , eg 5 years ago, it’ was usually one of the following sources. Probate sales, Company close down The general public, selling private collections , who cannot answer question about “origin of the materials. “ . They may have acquired a collection over several decades. Other UK firms export vintage made items to the EU (Antiques?: collectibles ? car parts? ) . what do they do ? More thoughts welcome
  • “you need a suppliers declaration proving the origin of goods"

Greetings We are a small company ( 2 in the warehouse, 2 in the office). We are confused by HMRC emails saying “you need a suppliers declaration proving the origin of goods, when exporting form UK to EU ” . The electronic valves that we supply , were made 40 years ago. The companies who made them are closed down .Customs tariff for valves is 8540810000 Can you advise me how I can provide paperwork to “prove the original manufacturing country for the goods” . WE cant be the only UK company exporting vintage made items to the EU :-) Best regards Martin Billington