Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: changing of DOB

    I noticed a few weeks ago that my date of birth is incorrect on HMRC's system. I phoned and was told to send a photocopy of my birth certificate, which I did. I have now had a CA4118 letter saying HMRC were unable to confirm by DOB from the information sent, and requesting certified copies of EU birth certificate, EU identity card, EU passport or EU driving licence. Am I correct in assuming that UK documents would be OK (i.e. the standard letter is out of date)? Also, the letter says that certified copies need to have the official stamp of the certifying office or organisation and be signed by a representative of that office or organisation. Is this stamp necessary? I cannot see how I can get this without paying e.g. a solicitor. This link - - does not mention an official stamp, only that the document should have ‘Certified to be a true copy of the original seen by me’ written on the copy.