Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • How to correctly enter US dividends in online tax return?

    I have >£2000 of foreign dividends and therefore need to fill in the foreign dividends online pages. The US dividends have been charged a 15% withholding tax at source by the US authorities since a W8-BEN has been filled in. How do I enter these dividends into the online self-assessment form? I understand I have to submit the gross dividend and the tax paid. But should I tick the "foreign tax credit relief" box or not? And it I did so, what is the correct rate of relief allowed? I cannot understand the guidance on the HMRC website. Thanks, David