Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Verify Identity on Government Gateway from abroad

    Hi, My wife and I are EEA citizens who lived and worked in the UK for many years until 2019, then we permanently left. After moving overseas, my wife didn't connect to the Government Gateway for a couple of years, so her account was automatically deleted to prevent fraudulent use. Since then, she requested and received a new user ID. However, we are still unable to get through the necessary steps to verify her identity and use her new account. When connecting to the Government Gateway we are offered two options to verify her identity: Option 1: Use a mobile app Take a photo and scan your face to match your documents using a mobile app, using one of the following evidence types: UK photocard driving licence, UK passport, UK biometric residence permit, UK biometric residence card or international passport. Option 2: Enter your details online Enter details about your documents and records, using two of the following evidence types: UK passport, UK photocard driving licence, payslips or P60, Self Assessment, tax credits (including voice ID) or credit record. When trying to progress with option 2, the list of allowable evidence suddenly reduces to: * UK photocard driving licence (including provisional licences) * UK passport * Credit reference questions As EEA citizens, we have neither a UK driving license nor a UK passport. So that option is clearly not workable. So, we're left with option 1. Option 1 requires installing an app on a mobile phone, that scans biometric information directly from an international passport. It all seems to work well until the very end, when we are greeted with the following message: "We cannot confirm who you are. This means that some or all of the details you gave were incorrect. You must make sure your documents and records with HMRC and other organisations are up to date. We cannot confirm your identity if you use documents containing out of date information. For example, your name or address has changed" If we knew which information is out of date, we could potentially update it. Ah but it requires connecting to portal first anyway ;-) That looks like a chicken and egg situation, doesn't it ? So, option 1 doesn't really lead anywhere... Now you might think: let's try to get help on the phone. Ok, we've tried that. Except there are two hurdles to get in touch with an adviser. First, the time difference.... Not really simple to call within UK working hours from the other side of the world. It can be done though ;-) But then there is still the second hurdle. Our phone plan has a limitation which only allows international calls for 60 minutes, then the call is automatically terminated. Despite countless attempts, not once did we get past the waiting line within 60 minutes. Not once did we manage to speak to a human being (would it be for 10 seconds !) within 60 minutes of initiating the call. Would you believe it ? Well then, when all options have been exhausted, you can always trust the good old snail mail. That's a really good name actually. We sent a letter in writing to HMRC a good 6 months ago and we're still waiting to hear back. Can anyone help ? Without human intervention, it looks like this won't get resolved easily.... Thanks in advance !
  • What is the relationship between voluntary NI contributions and self-assessment tax return ?

    I lived and worked in the UK until 2019, then permanently left. For tax years 2019/20, 2020/21 and 2021/22, I continued to receive income in the UK and filed non-resident tax returns. For these years, my NI contributions are full. In 2022/23 though (and for the foreseeable future), I didn't receive any UK income and it appears as a gap in my NI record, Initially I thought I had no reason to continue filling non-resident tax returns, and then I read More specifically, under the section "Other reasons for sending a return" it says "pay voluntary National Insurance contributions". Can someone please explain the relationship between the two ? Is this an alternative to submitting CF83 ? Thanks !
  • Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

    Hi, I lived and was employed in the UK for many (> 10) years. I permanently left the UK in 2019 but continued to receive income in the UK and realized non-resident capital gains that I reported in self-assessment tax returns. This situation has now changed, and I will no longer receive any income in the UK. I believe that I have no reason to continue submitting self-assessment tax returns, but I was trying to confirm this by using Understandably, most questions seem to be phrased for UK tax residents, but I'm not sure how to understand them given that I'm not-resident, and that's where I'd like to get clarifications. Question 1. Did you work for yourself between 6 April 2022 and 5 April 2023? Question 2. Did you work as an ‘off-payroll worker’? Does being self-employed outside of the UK count ? Question 4. What was your total income for the year? Presumably only UK income should be considered ? or does that mean world-wide income ? Question 6. Did you get more than £10,000 from dividends or savings and investments? Does that also include dividends and savings from outside the UK ? I realize that the answers I gave to progress through the form may have shaped some of the following questions, so that the question numbers may change, etc... Anyway, the general theme is how to understand all the questions as a non-resident (for 4 years now) ?