Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: Declaring UK/Foreign Employment Income as Non-UK Tax Resident

    I have resolved this with the help of an advisor. Additional information is the sheet needed for this, rather than foreign earnings - I misunderstood the letter.
  • Declaring UK/Foreign Employment Income as Non-UK Tax Resident

    Hello, I have just had a letter from HMRC stating that I had been incorrectly completing my self-assessment. I am looking for guidance to clarify the information in the letter as to how to correctly complete my self-assessment for UK/Foreign Employment income. It would be great if someone could help here! - I am confirmed non-UK tax resident (I only spend a handful of days in the UK each year) and have been for 14 years. - I work for a UK employer, mostly from abroad but with a couple of days per year in the UK. On this basis I complete a tax return. - Previously when declaring my UK salary income, I declared just the UK component of my salary on the employment page of the self-assessment - I have been told that this is incorrect and I should declare ALL my Employment Income from a UK employer (and any deductions) under the Employment section - and - I should declare my non-UK Employment income in section 12 of the foreign earnings part of the return. - I was under the impression that the foreign earnings section of self-assessment was only for UK tax residents who need to declare foreign income, not non-UK tax residents - If I indeed complete the foreign income section to declare my non-UK Employment income, would the fact that I am not UK tax resident mean that the foreign Employment income will be deducted from the overall income in the Employment section and then only the difference (which is the UK taxable income) will be taxed? Many thanks! 

    Name removed admin .