Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: Periodic pension payments from Canadian RRIF

    I would add that I am UK tax resident and the mutual funds concerned are non-reporting funds.
  • Periodic pension payments from Canadian RRIF

    I am considering whether to convert my Canadian RRSP (containing Canadian mutual fund units) into a Canadian RRIF and having the proceeds remitted to the UK over time in the form of periodic pension payments (as mentioned in the UK-Canada double taxation agreement). Would periodic pension payments from a Canadian RRIF consisting of Canadian mutual fund units be taxable in the UK as income or as the sale of foreign-held securities? Please note that I consulted DT4605 and DT4617 but was not able to find an answer as neither piece of guidance refers specifically to periodic pension payments.
  • Converting Canadian RRSP to Canadian annuity

    I lived in Canada for 12 years but have been back in the UK since 2015. I am UK resident. I am planning to convert my Canadian RRSP into an annuity sourced from the same Canadian life insurer that manages the RRSP account. Would the conversion give rise to any UK capital gains tax liability?