Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Foreign Income

    Hi HMRC, I have Singaporean citizenship and I have just started work in the UK in January 2023 (under a tier 2 visa). I have also been a student in the UK for about 8 years starting 2012. I have received a letter from HMRC stating that I might have taxable foreign income and that I might have to declare it via a DDS form. I was very surprised by this letter as I thought that my tax returns for the year April 2022 to April 2023 were only due in October this year. Nevertheless I tried to complete the DDS form to declare the interest I earn (less than £50 each year) on two bank accounts I have in Singapore. However, there is no option on the form to declare for the 2022 to 2023 tax year. I am at a loss as to what HMRC is seeking from me. As I have begun working in the UK, does that mean that any interest accumulated when I was a student here in the past is also taxable? I have never been queried about taxes before and I understand that the UK and Singapore have a double taxation treaty in place. I do not know what kind of response I should return to HMRC or where I can obtain more information.