Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • RE: Charged twice for the same Tax year

    Hello, I have attempted to use the webchat several times before and even now I have tried it again. I have put in different words and phrases connecting to this matter, however, it keeps giving me the wrong response and then saying end chat. This is very frustrating and I really hope you can help me. Is there any way to write a letter to someone concerning this matter? What is the address that I can write about this to? Many thanks, Janat Eugene
  • Charged twice for the same Tax year

    I received a simple assessment tax calculation letter for the tax year 2021-2022 dated 12 October 2022. This letter stated that I owe £1516.40 for the tax year 2021-2022 and that I needed to pay this outstanding tax by the 31st of January 2023. I paid the exact amount of £1516.40 online on the 11th of January 2023. My January bank statement showed that this was paid to HMRC ETMP Glasgow. I then received another simple assessment Tax calculation for 2021-2022 (same tax year as the last letter) dated 30th January 2023. This letter stated that the total tax payable was £0.00 and that the tax I have already paid was also £0.00. I was then asked to complete a self-assessment tax return for the year 6th April 2021 - 5th April 2022. I completed this a few days past the deadline as I had been grieving my mother's death and paid a £100 penalty for this. Once I completed the self-assessment tax return form, I received another letter saying I have to pay £1362.07. I contacted HMRC on the phone number 0300 200 3823 and they told me to try the online webchat. I have done the webchat already several times and it has not given me an answer or option for my concern. I believe that I have already paid the tax amount due for my work. If there is any tax outstanding, it would only be from the high-income child benefit charge for the tax year 2021-2022. This would not amount to £1362.07. I hope this can be resolved quickly as I have been attempting to contact HMRC since May and it has been causing me a lot of distress.