Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Self-employed studio flat Home Allowance calculation

Hello, I didn't mention the simplified expenses in my original query. You brought it up. I used the word "flat", maybe it got you confused. But it was a synonym for "apartment" ("studio flat") and not part of "flat rate"... Again, my original query: Assuming I'm self-employed (sole trader), I work from home 6 hours a day, and my home is a studio apartment (1 room). What proportion of the *rent* is reasonable to claim for Home Allowance? Looking forward to your answer. Thanks, Asaf

Thanks. But I don't think I understand. I believe that as a self-employed working from home I can claim part of the rent, as the proportion of the flat that being used for work. It is for example says so here: https://www.gov.uk/expenses-if-youre-self-employed Quoted: If you work from home You may be able to claim a proportion of your costs for things like: heating electricity Council Tax mortgage interest or *rent* internet and telephone use You’ll need to find a reasonable method of dividing your costs, for example by the number of rooms you use for business or the amount of time you spend working from home. Am Im missing something? Please let me know. Thanks, Asaf

Thank you. But, as I understand, the simplified expenses don't include rent. Am I wrong?
  • Self-employed studio flat Home Allowance calculation

Assuming I'm self-employed (sole trader), I work from home 6 hours a day, and my home is a studio apartment (1 room). What proportion of the *rent* is reasonable to claim for Home Allowance?
  • RE: Expenses tax relief for a few months of digital nomading

Thanks . I'm a self employed web developer. I'm sorry I forgot to mention it. In this case, if part of the accommodation I rented used for working, shouldn't I be able to claim this part as a business expense? Thanks.

Hello, What about my original query? Attached again: *** I believe a nomadic life doesn't fit the definition of "permanence and stability". Maybe we can look at this in another way: If, during my travels, I were to rent working spaces, I believe I could have claimed it as a business expense? If so, I can claim that part of the accommodations I rented was used as a working space (as it was). So I basically rented accommodation and working space together and am asking for relief for the working space part of my expenses. Regarding your question, before these 3 months, I left my apartment in the UK, ended the lease, and stopped paying rent. By chance, the apartment was available when I got back, and I re-entered it under a new lease. Does it impact the case? *** Thanks, Asaf

Thank you for your reply. I believe a nomadic life doesn't fit the definition of "permanence and stability". Maybe we can look at this in another way: If, during my travels, I were to rent working spaces, I believe I could have claimed it as a business expense? If so, I can claim that part of the accommodations I rented was used as a working space (as it was). So I basically rented accommodation and working space together and am asking for relief for the working space part of my expenses. Regarding your question, before these 3 months, I left my apartment in the UK, ended the lease, and stopped paying rent. By chance, the apartment was available when I got back, and I re-entered it under a new lease. Does it impact the case?

Thank you for your reply. I believe there is a difference between the example and my case. In the example, she didn't work in her accommodation. She worked in a separate workplace. This is why it makes sense she cannot deduct her accommodation. I did work in my accomodations. I used it as an office, exactly as I would have if I stayed in my apartment. It was my home, and worked from it. Hence, I worked from home. The example you shared is mentioned in the context of travel. I think my case is better viewed as a period in which moved many homes. I of course not talking about deducting the whole cost of my accomodations, just a relative part that was used for working. Please let me know if I'm correct about the difference between the example and my case - she didn't work from her accommodation, I did. Thanks again, Asaf

Thanks. These places were my home during this period. I had no other home, so without these places I was homeless. Why can't it be considered as short term rents? I understand it isn't a standard situation, but there must be a better way of dealing with it, as digital nomading becomes more popular. According to your reply, digital nomads have no homes, and no accomodation expenses for maintaining their business - and that is obviously not true... Thanks, Asaf

Just to clarify, I'm referring to the "work from home allowance" as self employed.