Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Expenses tax relief for a few months of digital nomading

Thank you for your reply. I believe a nomadic life doesn't fit the definition of "permanence and stability". Maybe we can look at this in another way: If, during my travels, I were to rent working spaces, I believe I could have claimed it as a business expense? If so, I can claim that part of the accommodations I rented was used as a working space (as it was). So I basically rented accommodation and working space together and am asking for relief for the working space part of my expenses. Regarding your question, before these 3 months, I left my apartment in the UK, ended the lease, and stopped paying rent. By chance, the apartment was available when I got back, and I re-entered it under a new lease. Does it impact the case?

Thank you for your reply. I believe there is a difference between the example and my case. In the example, she didn't work in her accommodation. She worked in a separate workplace. This is why it makes sense she cannot deduct her accommodation. I did work in my accomodations. I used it as an office, exactly as I would have if I stayed in my apartment. It was my home, and worked from it. Hence, I worked from home. The example you shared is mentioned in the context of travel. I think my case is better viewed as a period in which moved many homes. I of course not talking about deducting the whole cost of my accomodations, just a relative part that was used for working. Please let me know if I'm correct about the difference between the example and my case - she didn't work from her accommodation, I did. Thanks again, Asaf

Thanks. These places were my home during this period. I had no other home, so without these places I was homeless. Why can't it be considered as short term rents? I understand it isn't a standard situation, but there must be a better way of dealing with it, as digital nomading becomes more popular. According to your reply, digital nomads have no homes, and no accomodation expenses for maintaining their business - and that is obviously not true... Thanks, Asaf

Just to clarify, I'm referring to the "work from home allowance" as self employed.

Thank you. I believe the first link is broken. According to the second link, I was a tax resident during 2021-2022 as I only left for about 90 days, and hence lived in the UK for more than 183 days. Also, as I went away and came back during the same year, I'm not eligible for a split year, according to my understanding (maybe it is the part that wasn't clear in my first query - I'm back in the UK now). It seems pretty straight forward to me that I was a tax resident for 2021-2022, am I missing anything? Anyway, my question is about tax relief for rent and utilities for the 3 months I was abroad - do I need to collect and calculate all my accomodations? (hostels, Airbnbs and such) Or can I just treat it as I continued to pay regular rent and bills in the UK? (I continued working remotely as always during this period abroad.) Thanks, Asaf
  • Expenses tax relief for a few months of digital nomading

Hello. During the year I left my apartment for 3 months (stopped paying rent and bills) and lived as a digital nomad. How should I treat this period for tax relief? (rent and utility expenses) Do I need to collect and calculate the cost of all my hostels and Airbnbs? Or, can I just treat it as if I stayed in my apartment and paid rent and utility bills as always? BTW, are there any, rules, recommendations, regulations, or resources for digital nomads? Thanks,
  • RE: Income in foreign currency into a UK bank account

WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
  • Income in foreign currency into a UK bank account

Hello, Does an income (for a service) in USD, into a UK-based USD bank account (TransferWise bank account) need to be reported under the Foreign section, or to be added to the general income? Thanks. Asaf