Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Reporting Traditional IRA to Roth IRA conversion

    I am a UK ordinary citizen and resident but also have a "Traditional IRA" pension account in the USA from 1990s when I used to work there. Last year I have converted a (lump sum) part of this American IRA account into a Roth IRA and paid US tax on this conversion. None of the funds have left the IRA wrappers, this was a conversion from one USA pension vehicle (Traditional IRA) to another (Roth IRA). Under US-UK tax treaty (article 17 paragraph 2) such transaction is not subject to UK tax. The question is whether I am required to report it on my UK self-assessment and if so, how. Many thanks