Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Basic PAYE Tools on Mac doesn't install or update

I had a different experience. I followed HMRC's advice about checking that a particular folder existed which it did. So I rebooted, re-downloaded and installed the app, then clicked on it to open it. After thirty seconds or so, it then showed that the software was not responding, but at that moment the phone rang. After dealing with the call I returned to my machine to find that the app was loaded and running perfectly - but was still showing as unresponsive in the Dock! That means that this tiny piece of programming - 172Mb - took over 4 minutes to boot up and display on the screen, as compared to Photoshop - 3.79Gb which is ready to go in about 12 seconds. Perhaps HMRC need to review the qualifications of their software designers.
  • RE: Problems running Basic PAYE Tools after latest update

My Mac is well in spec and running MAC OS 12 - Monterey - absolutely up to date and fully patched. I tried restarting and reinstalling Basic PAYE Tools about a dozen times yesterday, and downloaded a fresh version of the Zip file before every attempt. There is something fundamentally wrong with the download, and sitting on the phone for hours and then being disconnected (yes it happened to me too!) isn't going to put it right. I say again - if there is a fix available by phoning Tech Support, post the fix or correct the fault in the software. HMRC is the software provider - it's not my responsibility to correct the fault, it's HMRC's.
  • Basic PAYE Tools not working.

I downloaded the last Basic PAYE Tools for Mac and installed it. Not only hasn't it installed properly it has corrupted the existing installation and I cannot get it to open at all. I therefore can't calculate my staff's salaries, tax and NI for this month. I've had to uninstall the original version I had, then download and perform a clean install of the 2022-23 version, but this hasn't worked eitiher. When I try and open the software it just hangs, with the message that the program isn't responding. Can someone please sort this out in a hurry, or at least confirm I won't be penalised for failing to provide RTI on time?
  • RE: Basic PAYE Tools on Mac doesn't install or update

If there is a fix you can apply over the phone, why not post it here so we can all benefit without spending all day on the phone waiting to talk to someone?
  • RE: Problems running Basic PAYE Tools after latest update

I'm having the same problem having downloaded the latest 2022-23 version for Macs. The installation goes in okay, but when I try to run it hangs and I get a message that the software is not responding. I've tried several times, rebooting between attempts. Since this software is needed to pay staff this Wednesday, can someone at HMRC please advise how I should proceed?