Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Have 'old' UTR but new business

    I used to be a director of my husband's limited company, which has not ceased trading. I still have a current UTR, but have not filed a tax return for a couple of years (since it ceased), and am employed elsewhere. I now want to start up my own business as a writer. I was advised I can date this back to 2017 when I got my agent, and can claim expenses for the seven years previous to this. This year (22/23) is the first year I will have an income from writing. Questions: 1. To do this, can I be a sole trader or do I need to set up a limited company? 2. How can I 'start afresh' with my tax return so that it is not connected to my husband's old company? My UTR log in account is still alive, even if inactive, with nothing to pay at the moment. Thanks.