Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Returning from Dubai

Hello, Thank you for your response;it is not clear, however, if it were a response to my question or "AnotherConfused Expat 's. Thank you

Hello Admins, Could we have answers to our queries, please? Thank you

Hello Admin, Income isre not taxed in UAE, therefore the income of the OP in UAE is still taxable in UK if he is UK resident. That what I was told in this forum, Could you please clarify? Thank you
  • RE: Foreign Income?

Hi, Sorry to be so blunt as I am really lost and so tired, but being a UK tax resident with no income while working fully time in Qatar during the same tax year, Is there any case I can claim to avoid paying full tax on my overseas income? One tax adviser claimed so but he quoted his service for 2k+VAT. I dread paying this amount for no positive outcome at the end Cheers

Hello Admin, In regard to your answer >> You cannot claim foreign tax credit relief if no tax has been paid in the other country Article 14 in the DTA link states otherwise, could you please check it to explain please what is wrong with my conclusion? Many thanks for your time. DTA link: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/500345/qatar-uk-dta-2010-consol_-_in_force.pdf

Hi Admin, From 302, am i right in deducing that 1) Whoever worked in GCC, can't claim dual residency as his income in GCC is not taxed? 2) Tax relief ca NOT be claimed on salaries,see (1 below) The above surprised me as I was advised by a tax adviser that I can claim Foreign Tax Credit. They charge a lot for their services and the outcome is not guaranteed.... (1): You can claim relief on the following types of income: interest from bank and building societies royalties most work pensions annuities UK dividends

Thank you Admin. I thought I have to declare all my foreign incomes even if not taxable in the UK, then ask for a foreign claim relief. Could you please expand on the conditions you referred to in your message? I know I meet one of the conditions as my employer in Qatar did not have a branch in the UK. I should reiterate that my salary in Qatar was not taxed over there. Thank you

Hello Admin 17, In reference to your answer: (1)You can only claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief if tax has been paid to host country. Last year, I worked in Qatar while spending less than 183 non-working days in the UK due mainly to family issues. I was a UK tax resident during the year. Although salaries are not taxed in Qatar, I thought I am still entitled to be exempted from paying tax on my income in Qatar based on the UK-QATAR DTA , see page 25, article 14 (DTA link is given below). Is not right? If so, should I not claim Tax relief using form 109? Please clarify. Thank you DTA link: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/500345/qatar-uk-dta-2010-consol_-_in_force.pdf
  • RE: Split year first, then self-assessment return?

Hi Admin, Thank you for your response above. My foreign income was only from my full time employment abroad. Could you please confirm the following as you suggestedthat I should complete 106 form. My understanding is that 1) I must rather complete 102 form. 2) After checking 106 form, it seems that in order to claim foreign tax relief, I must complete the section "Foreign tax paid on employment, self-employment and other income" in page F6 3) Except for the referred sub-section in (2), all other sections in 106 form are irrelevant for me, unless the sub-section " All other income received by a person abroad and any remitted ‘ring fenced’ foreign income " at the end of page F2 in 106 needs to be completed again, although the same information would have been put in 102 form Please confirm the above Cheers
  • RE: Foreign currency conversions

Hi, Should "living cost allowance" in the salary be also included in the foreign income? Cheers