Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Penalty after self employment ended

Managed finally to get through on the phone to a human being who, I hope, has resolved this. It's such a simple matter. Good luck with your issue Paul. HMRC admin - could you please feed back that having an automated voice state every 10 seconds or so that there is help on the website is NOT helpful. If I could have resolved this via the website I would have done so. It's this kind of ill-considered messaging that leads to frustration, which could lead to abuse of the poor soul who finally answers the call.
  • RE: Penalty after self employment ended

Yes, I'm sure it's just a simple error, but I'd still like it resolved.
  • Penalty after self employment ended

I ceased self-employment at the end of March 2021, and completed a self-assessment for 20/21, notified HMRC on that form, and paid my tax liability in full. I checked the online tool and and was assured that I had no liability for 21/22. I received an email telling me to complete for 21/22, and twice called HMRC - the staff said they would note my record as they agreed I had no liability. I was given a penalty of £100 plus possible interest. In April and May, I wrote. No acknowledgement, no reply, just an email saying I had to complete a return for 22/23. How does this get resolved?