Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

  • Treating of foreign income

    I am an Indian Citizen and was resident in India (for tax purposes) for the year 2020/21. I was made redundant in October 2020 and received my severance package minus income taxes as deducted at source. Thereafter I moved to the UK with my family in April 2021 and have since begun employment here. For the year 2021/22 and for tax purposes, I know that I will be considered as 'UK resident' but having my 'domicile' as India. My query is related to funds that I have had to transfer/remit to my UK account from India, to support our move to the UK. I have already paid income tax (in India) on this income in the year 2020/21. Given that this amount would now be considered as savings - Can I record the amount that I have transferred (in £) to my UK account and claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief in the Self Assessment sheet on this? Appreciate any feedback/guidance for the above query.