Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Claiming VAT back on DDP

Customs Oldtimer and everyone else, thank you very much for your advice and guidance on this. Very helpful indeed.

Thank you very much for that Admin5. Is there an option whereby I can pay the duty and then invoice the customer do you know? Therefore, the customer in ROI just has to pay the tax, and can then reclaim over there? Or does DDP have to include both duty and tax? Many thanks.

Sunil and Old Timer. Thank you very much for your advice here. Much of this does make sense to me and gives us other options to look into. We always send under DAP terms generally, so this is all a bit of learning curve. Much appreciated.

Hi Customs Old timer. Many thanks for your reply. Yes it is indeed ROI. I have sent the goods under incoterms DDP so therefore I believe that I am the declared importer (paying the duty as well). The initial plan was that once I was invoiced by the courier for the tax and duty, I would then invoice our customer for the amount and maybe they could claim it back. Or possibly there is a way for us to claim back the VAT ourselves. Luckily for us we have a very good relationship with our customer and what will be will be. They are contacting Revenue on their side in Ireland as well. Thank you again for your advice. It is much appreciated.
  • Claiming VAT back on DDP

Hi all. I have a customer in Ireland who would like us to export from UK to them using DDP terms. We would pay the tax and duty under these terms and then invoice the customer separately for this expense. I have no issue with this, but they have raised the valid question, are they able to still claim VAT refund on the import? I have searched this but cannot find any conclusive answer. Any advice would be much appreciated.